Bakery Chef Roland Gregoire,
Stella’s Café and Bakery
A lot of butter and a little commitment to technique yield flaky, chocolate-filled croissants.
8 3/4 cups all purpose flour
10 tsp fresh yeast
1 cup white sugar
5 tsp salt
3 2/3 cups ice cold milk
2 cups unsalted butter
4 Tbsp water
1/3 cup chopped chocolate
- Combine flour, yeast, sugar, salt and milk in the large bowl of a mixer fitted with a dough hook.
- Mix for 1 min on low speed. Increase speed slightly and mix for 4 min to form fully developed dough.
- Divide dough into 2 equal parts, flatten, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for minimum 30 min.
- While dough is chilling, cut butter into 2 equal portions, then into 1/2″ slices and set aside on parchment paper. Cover with second piece of parchment, using a rolling pin roll each piece of butter to approximately 12″x12″ squares. Place butter in refrigerator, must reach same temp as dough (17°C-19°C).
- Using a rolling pin, gently and gradually roll the dough into a uniform rectangle 13″x19″. Place a 12″x12″ piece of butter to one side of the dough, leaving 1/3 exposed. Fold the exposed piece without butter over centre 1/3, then fold the last piece over top.
- Place on lightly floured tray, cover and refrigerate for 10 min. Repeat steps 5 and 6 with second dough portion.
- Again with the rolling pin slowly thin the dough out to achieve a 14″x24″ rectangle. Fold in 1/3 sections again, like a business letter. Place on lightly floured tray, cover and refrigerate for 10 min. Repeat with second portion.
8. Again carefully use a rolling pin to thin the dough into a 14″x24″ rectangle. Fold in thirds business letter style. Place on lightly floured tray, cover and refrigerate for at least 10 min. Repeat with second dough potion.
- Gently roll out into 14″x44″ rectangle. Place on lightly floured surface, cut to make two pieces of 7″x44″.
- Make egg wash with eggs and water. Apply egg wash to top 1/4″ along length of dough. Place 1/4 of chocolate along the bottom of egg washed section, roll to seal.
- Repeat for other side, but rather than rolling ‘up’ roll the first side across onto the egg washed section so that the seal lines are face down on table.
- Cut into 11 equal lengths of 4″. Place on silicon baking tray, repeat for remaining dough.
- Let rise until doubled in size (1-2 hrs).
- 1Preheat oven to 405°F. Bake for 15 min until golden brown colour is achieved.
Yield 44 croissants