Chef Talia Syrie,
The Tallest Poppy
This traditional Greek pastry gets a Syrie-family makeover with roasted pumpkin seeds.
1 lb package frozen phyllo
1 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar mixed with
1 1/2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
2 1/2 cups unsalted roasted pumpkin seeds, lightly
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup liquid Manitoba honey
- Thaw phyllo.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Line 11″ by 13″ pan with parchment paper. Using a pastry brush, paint parchment paper with melted butter.
- Take one sheet of phyllo, fold it in half, lay it in pan.
- Using pastry brush, lightly paint phyllo sheet with melted butter.
- Sprinkle about 1 1/2 Tbsp of cinnamon/sugar mixture evenly onto buttered surface.
- Repeat steps 4 to 6, two times to create 3 double layers of phyllo.
- Sprinkle 1/2 to 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds evenly over the top layer, spreading the seeds to the phyllo edges.
- Take one sheet of phyllo, fold it in half, and place it on top. Brush it with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar mixture.
- Repeat steps 8 and 9, three more times for a total of 4 layers of pumpkin seeds.
- Fold each of the (3-4) remaining phyllo sheets in half, place on the baklava, brush with butter, and layer with cinnamon and sugar. Brush butter on the top sheet.
- Score baklava into squares before baking.
- Bake for 30-35 mins or until medium golden brown.
- Prepare syrup while baking.
- In a heavy sauce pan over medium heat, simmer water, sugar, lemon juice and vanilla until sugar is dissolved.
- Add honey and simmer for 20-25 mins.
- Remove from heat and immediately pour on the hot baklava, making sure to coat the score marks and the top surface.
- Leave uncovered overnight and slice before serving.
Yield 15 pieces