Thai Basa fish, in this recipe for “Nipon’s Fish,” as the Siam Thai menu calls it, is prepared with a classic balance of salt, sweet, and a bold hit of heat. The addition of soy sauce delivers umami flavour.
Chef Sumruoy Poomrat
1 Basa fish fillet
4 cloves garlic, minced
5 fresh Thai chiles, minced
1 cup vegetable oil, divided
1 cup chicken stock
1 Tbsp light soy sauce
1 Tbsp dark soy sauce
1 Tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
20 fresh Thai basil leaves
- In a frying pan, heat 1/2 cup vegetable oil. Fry basil leaves until crispy. Set basil aside.
- In the same pan, add the other 1/2 cup of oil and heat to medium high. Pan fry the basa fish fillet until the fish is crispy and golden in colour. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add the garlic and Thai chiles. Cook, stirring constantly. Add the rest of ingredients except chicken stock, and cook until fragrant.
- Add chicken stock and heat until sauce is thickened.
- Plate the fish. Arrange the basil leaves on top of the fillet, and pour the sauce over the basil. Serve.
Yield 2-4 servings of Thai Basa fish
For nearly 20 years, this small suburban eatery has delivered the fresh tastes of central Thailand to its South End neighbourhood. It's usually bustling with tables of families and couples.…
Siam Thai Neighbourhood: St. Vital Address: 587 St Anne's Rd Phone: 204-254-7765 Entrées: $12-$26 Those of us who travel with our tastebuds are always searching for those dishes that come…
Thai Cuisine Queen Chef Sumruoy Poomrat of Siam Thai earns her place amongst the city's culinary royalty. By Jessie Schmidtke If there's one thing we've learned from Chef Sumruoy Poomrat,…
Country style Thai curry refers to a style of curry made without cream or coconut milk. This aromatic dish is the spiciest curry on Siam Thai’s menu. Chef Sumruoy Poomrat…
Yellow bean pie is the epitome of Thai cuisine, blending savoury with sweet. This version from Siam Thai is simple to make and yields a sumptuous, cakey texture. Chef Sumruoy…
Golden cups appies are a sweet and tangy variation on classic spring rolls and dumplings. Mint leaves add a hit of freshness. Chef Sumruoy Poomrat Siam Thai Ingredients Lemongrass sauce…
Chef Samloy Kongmanisvong, Siam Thai Ingredients 3 cups clear chicken stock 1/4 cup lemongrass, cut into pieces 1/4 cup shallots, slightly crushed 1/2 cup straw mushrooms, cut in half 2…
Chef Samloy Kongmanisvong, Siam Thai This aromatic, slightly spicy dish is known as a dry curry because it uses less coconut milk than other Thai curries. Ingredients 2 Tbsp panaeng…
Chef Samloy Kongmanisvong, Siam Thai Thai chiles may look small, but are notorious for packing a lot of heat. For less spice, jalapeño or serrano peppers are good substitutes in…