Chef Alexander Svenne
Saltimbocca is an Italian appetizer traditionally made with veal scallops. Chef Alex has given it a Manitoba twist using elk and wild turkey. Note: You will need 8 wood skewers.
1 lb elk tenderloin
Salt & pepper
4 slices smoked wild turkey breast (any turkey will do)
8 sage leaves
1/4 lb sharp cheddar, cut into
8 matchstick pieces
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup white or red wine
Sage leaves, to garnish
1 Tbsp canola oil
Coarse salt, to garnish
- Slice tenderloin into 8 slices. Butterfly each slice.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap over each slice and gently pound with a meat mallet until thin. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- On each slice of elk, place half a slice of turkey. Trim turkey so it fits within the elk, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Top each slice with a sage leaf and a piece of cheese.
- Fold sides of elk in, then fold elk over the cheese making a small envelope. Secure fold with a skewer.
- Boil balsamic vinegar and reduce to half a cup. Add wine and reduce again to half a cup.
- In a hot frying pan, add oil. Fry sage leaves until crisp, sprinkle with salt. Set aside. In same pan, sear saltimbocca on all sides.
- Drizzle plates with balsamic reduction and place two saltimbocca in centre of each. Garnish with fried sage leaves, yam mash and Crampton’s Manitoba wild plum jam.
Yield 4 servings
Located on the outskirts of Birds Hill Park, this secluded country cottage restaurant is committed to celebrating the food and people of Manitoba. An on-site garden provides vegetables and herbs…
Pineridge Hollow Neighbourhood: Oakbank, MB Address: 67086 Heatherdale Rd 25E Phone: 204-777-3881 Entrées: $14-$26 To pull off truly impeccable regional cuisine, two elements must be at play—a commitment to and understanding of the land…
Mushroom perogies take a familiar dish into fresh territory. Earthy mushrooms, sugary onions and mayo-laden sour cream push our palates to appreciate the unexpected. Chef Colin Dick Pineridge Hollow Ingredients…
Beet chips are a sweeter take on the salty snack, made by replacing potatoes with beets. Chef Colin Dick Pineridge Hollow Ingredients Goat Cheese Ranch Dip 1 cup goat cheese,…
Clayton Hadaller Pineridge Hollow Ingredients 1 egg 1/2 cup cocoa, sifted 1/2 cup margarine 1 1/2 cups flour 1 tsp baking powder 1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk (add 1…
Clayton Hadaller Pineridge Hollow Ingredients Steak 2 lbs boneless blade steak Marinade 1 large onion, minced 1 tsp garlic 1/2 tsp black pepper 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar 1/4 cup red…
Chef Angela Baschuk, Pineridge Hollow Venison is a wonderfully lean and tender meat with fewer calories, cholesterol and fat than most cuts of beef, pork or lamb. Farm‑raised venison doesn’t…
Chef Angela Baschuk, Pineridge Hollow This light and icy torte is an ideal dessert for the hot prairie summers. The sweet, locally foraged saskatoons balance the tang of the lemon…
Chef Michael Neil, Pineridge Hollow A vibrant apricot topping dresses up this Manitoba staple, bringing a candied nuance to the meat. Chef Michael recommends using local pork that is still…
Chef Michael Neil, Pineridge Hollow This elegant starter riffs off the classic meat and potato dish, with tender mushrooms echoing the texture of beef. Ingredients Ragoût 2 cups chopped wild…