Mac & cheese gets sharpness from local Bothwell Old Cheddar cheese and crunch from a crumbly pretzel topping.
Chef Camila Gamboa
Marion Street Eatery
1 cup canola oil
2 cups all purpose flour
4 cups milk, brought to a simmer
3 cups shredded Bothwell Old Cheddar
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp salt
1 tsp pepper
4 strips bacon, diced
1 cup broccoli, cooked and cooled
4 cups macaroni, cooked and cooled
2 Tbsp crushed honey mustard pretzels
- In a pot over medium heat, mix together oil and flour. Continue mixing over medium heat for 4 minutes, making a roux.
- Slowly add hot milk to the roux, whisking until well combined. Whisk continuously to avoid burning the sauce.
- Bring sauce to a simmer and cook for at least 15 minutes.
- Stir in cheddar cheese, continuing to stir until well combined. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large pan, saute diced bacon and cooked broccoli until golden brown. Add cheese sauce and cooked macaroni to same pan. Mix the mac & cheese until well combined.
- Divide into 4 cast iron skillets and top with shredded cheese and honey mustard pretzels.
- Bake in oven at 350°F for five minutes.
Yield 4 servings mac & cheese
Marion Street Eatery is inside the Marion Hotel, but this chic room breaks from the biker bar aesthetic to deliver a homey ode to brunch. Friendly servers, greenery, wood accents…
Chef Steven Watson Marion Street Eatery Elevated comfort foods have been drawing a dedicated crowd to MSE since opening nearly nine years ago. Chef hack: Pre-bake puff pastry squares for…
Chef Steven Watson Marion Street Eatery Elevated comfort foods have been drawing a dedicated crowd to MSE since opening nearly nine years ago. Steven centres his biscuits and gravy dish…
Vegan sandwich options can be an afterthought, but at Marion Street Eatery, this delicious sammy takes centre stage. Veggies and protein-packed nut spread get wedged between slices of Winnipeg's own…
'Perogy bowl' might be one of the most Winnipeg lunches out there. Local producer Perogy Planet shares its exclusive recipe used in this hearty bowl. Chef Camila Gamboa Marion Street…
Prairie salad is a vibrant, texturally intriguing mix of spicy and sweet flavours. Chef Camila Gamboa Marion Street Eatery Ingredients Pickled onions 2 cups water 1 cup white vinegar 1/2…
Chef Melissa Hryb, Marion Street Eatery Amp up a grilled chicken breast with this refreshing salsa. Ingredients Salsa 2 cups raw bacon, diced 2 cups corn kernels 1/2 cup olive…
Chef Melissa Hryb Marion Street Eatery Feta adds a sharp tang to this sweet and savoury dish. Ingredients 1 cup bacon, raw and diced 2 cups corn kernels (approx 4-5…