Move over charcuterie: this vegan and gluten free sharing board pairs a flavourful array of preserves and pickles with baked falafels.
1 can (approx. 450g) chickpeas
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 small shallots, minced
1 tsp cumin
3 Tbsp rice flour
canola oil, for frying
salt and pepper, to taste
- Blitz all ingredients, with the exception the flour, in a food processor, or use a mortar and pestle to mash into a paste.
- Slowly add the rice flour to bind the mash until a soft dough-like consistency forms. The mixture should hold its shape when compressed, but will still be slightly wet. Use a tablespoon to form falafel balls.
- In a frying pan, heat a little bit of oil and brown each falafel, approx. 3 minutes per side.
- Bake falafel for 4-6 minutes at 350ºF. Serve with your favourite pickles, jams and jellies.
Yields 30-40 falafel balls
These crispy curls of beef have addictive salty crunch.
1 beef tongue
8 cups (approx. 2 cans) beef stock
1 cup canola oil
salt & pepper to taste
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 Tbsp horseradish
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Place beef tongue in a small roasting dish. Cover 3/4 of the beef tongue in beef stock.
- Braise the tongue for approx. 4 hrs, rotating every hour.
- Remove tongue from stock and allow to cool. Reserve stock for future recipes.
- Once cool, using a paring knife, remove the outer membrane of the tongue. This should peel off rather easily.
- Slice the tongue into thin pieces and salt. Heat oil in a shallow frying pan. Carefully pan fry the tongue until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and toss in salt and pepper.
- To make the dipping sauce, whip the mayo and horseradish together until combined.
Yields 2 servings