Consider this your introduction to rye berries. Mixed with locally grown quinoa, these plump grains add textural pop. Add in two types of local sausage and Manitoba trout for a provincial smorgasbord.
4 oz trout, skinless
1/2 cup rye berries, cooked
1/2 cup quinoa, cooked
1/2 cup garlic sausage, cooked
1/2 cup breakfast sausage, cooked
1 carrot, peeled and diced
1 medium onion, peeled and diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 can (1.5 cups) tomato sauce
2 Tbsp canola oil
salt and pepper to taste
- In a small frying pan, heat oil. While heating, season trout with salt & pepper and slice in half. Once the oil is hot, cook the trout to medium or desired doneness.
- Set aside.
- In the same pan, add in the diced carrot, onion and celery to deglaze the pan. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in the remaining ingredients with the exception of the tomato sauce. Cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan once again with the tomato sauce, mix thoroughly, and bring to a simmer.
- To plate, split the contents of into two bowls. Divide the now rested trout and place on top, season with salt and pepper and garnish with fresh microgreens or chives.
Yield 2 servings