Chef Peter Long,
Chocolate and caramelized bananas play off the warm, burnt caramel notes of dark rum prevalent in this fluffy cake.
1 cup sugar
1 stick softened butter
3 large eggs
3 large bananas
2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup oil
4 squares semi-sweet dark chocolate, melted
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 bananas, peeled and sliced
3 1/2 Tbsp dark rum
2 Tbsp lemon juice
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter on medium speed using a stand or hand mixer until smooth, and fluffy.
- Add one egg at a time, mixing well.
- Add bananas one at a time. Mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, sift together 1 cup flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Slowly add to wet mixture.
- Add 1/4 cup milk and 1/4 cup sour cream and mix until combined.
- Add remaining flour, milk and sour cream. Mix well and add oil.
- Using a spatula fold in walnuts and melted chocolate.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour a 9″ round pan. Pour in mixture.
- Bake for 1 hr. Cool for 30 mins.
- Serve with caramelized bananas.
- In a heavy skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon, stirring until sugar is melted.
- Add bananas and cook until they are hot and well coated with syrup.
- Carefully pour in rum and flame until alcohol is cooked out.
- Add lemon juice and stir. Remove from heat when sugar forms a thick syrup.
Yields 12 servings
This south Winnipeg favourite sets the standard for suburban-style fine dining. Heat from fireplaces add warmth within the wood-panelled interior, while soft carpet amps up the cozy factor. The wide-ranging…
Maxime's Neighbourhood: St. Vital Address: 1131 St Mary's Rd Phone: 204-257-1521 Entrees: $18-$40 Long-standing dining destinations are beloved for bucking trends and staying on a traditional course that began in…
Honey agrodolce ribs get a punchy sauce laced with aromatic rosemary and jalapeno heat. Leave the seeds in for an added kick. Chef Peter Long Maxime's Restaurant Ingredients Agrodolce sauce…
Honey raspberry field green salad is the picture of summer. Fresh raspberries and seafood are a revelatory pairing. Chef Peter Long Maxime's Restaurant Ingredients Honey raspberry vinaigrette 1 cup fresh…
Owner Antigone Bekios Maxime Restaurant Ingredients Crust 1 cup slivered almonds 2 cups graham cracker crumbs 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted Filling 8 oz fine quality white chocolate 32 oz…
Chef Gary Patson and sous chef Mac Nurse, Maxime Restaurant Asparagus is in season by mid-April. Take advantage of this fact with a simple spring salad. Ingredients Dressing 1/2 cup…
Chef Gary Patson and sous chef Mac Nurse, Maxime Restaurant This soup is tangy in its mildest rendition, and can be made hotter depending on the strength of curry used.…
Chef Gary Patson and sous chef Mac Nurse Maxime Restaurant Use fresh mangoes that offer a shot of vitamins A and C. Ingredients Parfait 2 cups cubed mango 1/4 cup…
Chef Gary Patson and sous chef Mac Nurse, Maxime Restaurant This tasty appetizer dish is meant for sharing. It will appear on Maxime’s appetizer menu at their new lounge, which…
Chef Peter Long Maxime’s Each bite-sized parcel releases complementary tangy, sweet, and savoury flavours. Ingredients Balsamic Maple Reduction 1/2 cup Canadian maple syrup 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar 1/2 oz orange…