Chef Chris Gama
A traditional Mexican breakfast is delicately elevated with tender duck confit.
6 duck legs, shredded
2 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp orange zest
1/2 tsp black pepper
4 cups rendered duck fat
22 Ancho chiles, seeded
2 Guajillo chiles, seeded
1/2 chipotle chile
6 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 white onion, diced
1 tsp Mexican oregano
1 tsp cumin, ground
1 tsp coriander, ground
1 Tbsp salt
4 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 cups canned tomatoes
2 avocados, peeled/sliced
1/2 cup sour cream
2 medium tomatillos, diced
1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
1/2 head iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups cilantro leaves
6 corn tortillas (El Izalco Market)
2 Tbsp green onion, sliced
1/4 cup pickled red onion
1 lime, juiced
Salt to taste
- Mix salt, sugar, zest and pepper. Coat the 6 duck legs evenly in the mixture. Refrigerate for 8-36 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 250˚F and warm duck fat in an ovenproof dish.
- Remove duck legs from fridge and lightly rinse. Place in duck fat and simmer. Cover dish and place in the oven. Cook for 3 hours, or until completely tender.
- Remove from oven and cool to room temperature. Place in fridge overnight.
- Warm duck legs and pull meat into bite sized pieces.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, add garlic and onions, toasting until black in spots (approximately 3 minutes).
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer until the chiles are soft (approximately 45 minutes). Blend on high speed until smooth.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Cut corn tortillas into wedges. Spread onto baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for approximately 6 minutes. Use tongs to turn over.
- Sprinkle with salt and bake for another 6 to 9 minutes, until golden.
- Combine sauce Colorado and shredded duck in a large, wide pan on medium heat. Warm the duck through, adding tortilla chips. Simmer for 45 seconds.
- Add sliced green onion and juice of lime juice. Salt to taste.
- Divide evenly among 6 plates. Top each with lettuce, tomatillo, avocado slices, sour cream, jalapeño, fried egg, pickled red onion and cilantro. Serve immediately.
Yield 6 servings