Muesli bowls deliver an exciting blend of textures for a juicy morning boost.
Chef Daniel Davyduke
The VG Restaurant
3 cups oats
1 cup milk
1/2 cup apple juice
3 Tbsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup oats
1/4 cup ground almonds
1 Tbsp cornmeal
2 Tbsp sliced almonds
2 Tbsp pumpkin seeds
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp Manitoba liquid honey
Pinch of salt
3/4 cup hot water
2 tsp canola oil
8 cups whole milk
Pinch of salt
2 3/4 Tbsp white vinegar
1/3 cup Manitoba liquid honey
Bircher muesli (prepare a day in advance)
- In a bowl, mix together first four ingredients. Top with cinnamon.
- Place in an air-tight container and refrigerate overnight.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine first five ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mix together remaining ingredients until brown sugar and honey dissolve.
- Fold the wet mixture into the dry ingredients until well coated.
- Place mixture on a sheet tray. Bake at 250°F in 30-minute increments until completely dry.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Break apart.
- In a large pot, stir salt into milk. Heat until liquid starts to boil.
- Stir in vinegar. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Line a mesh strainer with a cheese cloth. Using a slotted spoon, transfer curds into a strainer. Let excess liquid drain away.
- Once drained, place cheese in a mixing bowl and fold in honey.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container until needed.
- In a bowl, place one row each of muesli, granola and ricotta.
- Garnish with berries as desired.
Yield 6 muesli bowls