Chef Eraj Jayawickreme
The Velvet Glove
Let creativity lead the way for this piece of edible artwork making use of cold weather staple, root vegetables.
1 yellow beet, boiled and pureed
1 red beet, boiled and pureed
1 yellow beet, cut into assorted shapes
1 red beet, cut into assorted shapes
6 baby carrots
2 parsnips, peeled and roasted
6 radishes, thinly sliced
7 red pearl onions
Chia seeds soaked in vinegar
2 stalks celery
12 quail eggs, cooked and peeled
1 3/4 cups sea salt
1 3/4 cups water
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
Root Vegetable Salad
- Take 3 of the baby carrots and cut in half length wise. Toss with a little salt and pepper and hatch mark on barbeque grill.
- Use a vegetable peeler to slice long strips off the celery stalks. Place in ice water, which curls up the strips.
Salt Roasted Turnips and Celeriac
- In a large bowl, mix together the salt, flour and water. Cover dough with cling film and chill for 20 minutes.
- Wash the turnips and celeriac and dry thoroughly. Turn the dough out onto a floured board then use pieces to individually wrap each turnip and celeriac. Place the turnips and celeriac on a baking tray then bake at 350°F for 40 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Once cold, peel off the pastry then slice the turnips and celeriac thinly with a mandolin or vegetable slicer.
Randomly assemble all items on plate and drizzle with olive oil.
Yield 4 servings