Chef Michael Day,
Creamy and decadent dulce de leche crêpes are a snap to prepare and make a perfect denouement to any dinner.
Dulce de Leche
1 250 mL can condensed milk
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups milk
1 Tbsp cup dark rum
1 Tbsp white sugar
1 cup raspberries
Dulce de Leche
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil on stove top.
- Remove label and place sealed can in pot.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 90 mins, making sure can is submerged.
- Add additional water as needed.
- Remove can from pot and cool.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt.
- In a seperate bowl using a fork, combine eggs, milk and rum.
- Using a wooden spoon, add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and gently mix until there are no lumps.
- Place batter in fridge for 30 mins.
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Open can of condensed milk (dulce de leche) and spoon into small bowl.
- Preheat a large, non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Add 1/2 cup batter to middle of pan and let mixture run to sides.
- Cook for 1 min and flip. Cook for additional 30 secs and remove pan from heat.
- Add 1-2 Tbsps of dulce de leche to centre of crêpe and fold sides to create square. Flip crêpe over in pan.
- Transfer crêpe to large baking dish.
- Repeat steps 4 to 7 until batter is finished.
- Bake assembled crêpes in oven for 5 mins or until warm.
- Sprinkle crêpes with sugar.
- Using a kitchen torch, quickly caramelize sugar.
- Garnish with additional dulce de leche and raspberries.
Yields 5 servings