Chef Michael Day,
Sweet and tangy balsamic reduction dances with the fresh, crisp and subtle notes of watermelon and cucumber.
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1 small head butter lettuce
1 large English cucumber, sliced 1/8″ thick using mandolin
1 cup feta, crumbled
6 cups watermelon, cubed
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup unsalted cashews
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
black pepper, freshly cracked
Balsamic Vinegar Reduction
- In a large pan on medium heat, bring balsamic vinegar to a boil.
- Reduce vinegar for 20 mins or until it becomes syrupy.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Layer 4 lettuce leaves on centre of plate.
- Place a 2″ diameter ring mould on lettuce bed and line with 2-3 cucumber slices, overlapping edges.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine feta and watermelon.
- Spoon watermelon mixture into cucumber cup and top with red onion and 1 Tbsp cashews.
- Gently remove ring mould.
- Drizzle salad with balsamic vinegar reduction and olive oil.
- Finish with black pepper.
- Repeat steps 1-6 on remaining 3 plates.
Yield 4 servings