Chef Sean McKay
THE MITCHELL BLOCK
The smoky subtlety of the saffron in this cozy macaroni dish plays well with the spice of the housemade sriracha pasta, neither flavour overpowering the other. Cheesy creaminess offers decadence while sriracha brings the heat and a little acidity.
2 cups Mitchell Block Sriracha Macaroni, dry and uncooked
2 Tbsp minced garlic
1/2 yellow onion, minced
6 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup smoked sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 tsp saffron
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 tsp smoked paprika
salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta al dente according to the package instructions. Remove from heat, drain and place in a large bowl.
- Drizzle pasta with olive oil and stir to coat pasta. Set aside while preparing cheese sauce.
- Melt butter in a deep saucepan, Dutch oven or stock pot.
- Sauté the diced onion and minced garlic at medium heat for 5 minutes or until soft and translucent.
- Whisk in flour over medium heat and continue whisking for about 1 minute until bubbly and golden.
- Add the saffron, turmeric and smoked paprika to the pot.
- Gradually whisk in the heavy cream until nice and smooth. Continue whisking until you see bubbles on the surface and then continue cooking and whisking for another 2 minutes.
- Add shredded cheddar cheese and whisk until smooth. Sauce should be nice and thick.
- Stir in the pasta until it is fully coated with the cheese sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!
Yield 2 servings
Pro Tip: Sriracha Macaroni is available from The Mitchell Block or Jones & Company Wine Co.
Located in the historic Mitchell building in the Exchange, this restaurant showcases gastronomically elevated home cooking. The intimate dining room adds warmth to its historic location with colourful modern art…
Wet & Dry Dept Neighbourhood: Exchange District Address: 173 McDermot Ave Phone: 204-975-0160 Entrées: $9-$15 Promptly at 7 pm, electronic beats begin to float through the air, drawing guests up…
The Mitchell Block Neighbourhood: Downtown Address: 173 McDermot Ave Phone: 204-949-9032 Entrées: $20-$29 Nestled in the red brick and wrought iron heart of the Exchange District, a stylish black and…
Rustic Gastronomy Chef Sean McKay blends classic cuisine with modern tastes and flair By Joelle Kidd In a thin prep kitchen tucked behind The Mitchell Block’s second floor lounge, chef…
Chef Sean McKay Mitchell Block Sunchokes are available at local markets in the summer. Ingredients Dijon Apple Cider Vinaigrette 1/3 cup Dijon mustard 4 Tbsp local honey 1 ¼ cups…
Chef Sean McKay Mitchell Block Preserving egg yolks requires patience, but results in unique, rich flavour. Ingredients Preserved Egg Yolks 2 cups kosher salt 1 cup sugar 4 large high-quality…
Chef Sean McKay Mitchell Block This cake is Manitoba through and through, flavoured with hemp oil and accented with local berries steeped in provincial pride Northern Harvest Rye. Ingredients Hemp…
Chef Sean McKay Mitchell Block Briny Bagna Cauda and tangy Caponata punch up the flavour in this dish. Ingredients Eggplant Caponata 5 Tbsp olive oil 1 large eggplant, unpeeled, cut into…
Chef Sean McKay Mitchell Block Ingredients Filling 6 cups water 2 tsp salt 1 tsp smoked paprika ½ tsp crushed chiles 1 ¾ cups yellow cornmeal 3 Tbsp unsalted butter…