Chef Grant Mitchell,
Ingredients foraged from the forest and garden create a light yet comforting pasta dish. Fresh snap peas and greens add crunch and colour.
3 medium russet potatoes
1 1/4 cups flour plus more for dusting
1 egg, beaten
2 Tbsp porcini oil
8 oyster mushrooms, stemmed and torn along gills
1 portobello mushroom, gills scraped out and sliced
8 white mushrooms, quartered
12 snap peas, chopped
1 cup baby red chard
1 cup baby arugula
pinch dried chillis
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp olive oil
salt & pepper to taste
- In a large pot with boiling salted water, cook potatoes for 20 mins until softened.
- Remove potatoes and allow to cool slightly. Using a box-grater, grate potatoes onto a lightly floured surface.
- Using your hands, knead flour into potato until roughly combined. Gather dough into a mound and create a well in the middle.
- In a bowl, whisk egg, 1 tsp salt and porcini oil. Pour into well.
- Using your hands, work wet and dry ingredients together being careful not to overwork the mixture.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into 1/2″ thick ropes. Cut into 3/4″ pieces. Using a fork, roll each piece along the tines to create texture.
- Boil gnocchi in boiling salted water for a few mins until they float.
- In a pan with butter, sautée chillis, salt, pepper and snap peas for a few mins.
- Add all mushrooms except oyster. Strain gnocchi and add to pan. Toss with olive oil to coat pasta.
- Add oyster mushrooms to pan.
- Divide into portions and top with chard, arugula and shaved pecorino.
Yield 4 servings
Casual fine dining reaches new heights at this South Winnipeg spot. The simple yet elegant space is punctuated with statement lighting fixtures. The menu features classic, rustic Italian cuisine showcasing…
Nicolino's Neighbourhood: Fort Garry Address: 2077 Pembina Hwy Phone: 204-269-5004 Entrées: $19-$32 For more than three decades, Nicolino’s has been heating up the south end of the city with its contemporary Italian fare that…
NICOLINO'S Neighbourhood: Fort Garry Address: 2077 Pembina Hwy Phone: 204-269-5004 Entrees: $17-$34 Nestled in a South Winnipeg strip-mall, Nicolino’s glimmers like a beacon among a row of fast-food chains. Owner Nick…
Nick Zifarelli Nicolino's Ingredients Dough 2 Tbsp salt 2 Tbsp sugar 1/4 cup canola oil 1/3 cup milk 3 tsp yeast 5 cups all purpose flour Toppings 3 Tbsp homemade…
Chef Grant Mitchell & John Stupar Nicolino’s These crêpes are rich in taste and relatively easy to make. Planning ahead is the key, as crème fraîche cannot be rushed. The…
Chef Fabrizio Rossi Nicolino's This briny sauce is filled with bright flavour and pairs well with fish. Ingredients 2 Tbsp olive oil 1 clove garlic pinch chili pepper 1 anchovy…
Chef Fabrizio Rossi Nicolino's Boscaiola, meaning 'woodsman's style' sauce is a rustic Italian classic. Ingredients Pasta 8 cups flour 10 eggs 1 Tbsp oil pinch of salt Sauce 3 cups…
Richard Hofley/Allen McDonald Nicolino's Ingredients Cake 5 medium morel mushrooms 1/4 cup Madeira wine 1 Tbsp unsalted butter 1/4 cup granulated sugar 1/4 cup all-purpose flour 1/4 cup cocoa powder…
Chef Greg Callis, Nicolino's Fleshy oxheart, brandywine or roma tomatoes are recommended for this punchy sorbet. Balsamic reduction cuts the initial sweetness, while Pernod adds a hint of licorice to…
Chef Grant Mitchell Nicolino’s This classic Italian dessert has been a menu staple at Nicolino’s for more than 20 years. The decadent combination of chocolate, cream and coffee is always…
Chef Grant Mitchell Nicolino’s Regional ingredients are showcased in this light main dish. Two of the province’s most popular freshwater fish pair perfectly with the delicate nuttiness of hemp seed.…