Chef Grant Mitchell
This classic Italian dessert has been a menu staple at Nicolino’s for more than 20 years. The decadent combination of chocolate, cream and coffee is always irresistible.
1 cup brewed espresso
2 Tbsp frangelico liqueur
2 Tbsp amaretto liqueur
3 tsp sugar
2 cups mascarpone, room temperature
3 cups heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp icing sugar
zest of one lemon
1 1/2 bags ladyfinger cookies (approx 72 cookies)
cocoa powder and cinnamon for dusting
- In a small shallow pan, combine espresso with sugar and liqueurs.
- In a bowl, using a hand or stand mixer, whisk mascarpone until creamy. Add cream, lemon zest, vanilla and icing sugar. Continue whisking until stiff peaks form.
- In a chilled 12″ x 24″ glass baking dish, spread a thin layer of the cream mixture along the bottom.
- Dip cookies one by one into coffee mixture for a few secs and line them in tray along the short end of the pan. Repeat to form a complete layer.
- Cover layer with 1/4 of cream mixture. Add another layer of cookies and another 1/4 of cream mixture.
- Add final layer of cookies and top with remainder of cream.
- Dust top with cocoa powder and cinnamon. Place in refrigerator and set for 4 hrs.
Yields 12 servings
Casual fine dining reaches new heights at this South Winnipeg spot. The simple yet elegant space is punctuated with statement lighting fixtures. The menu features classic, rustic Italian cuisine showcasing…
Nicolino's Neighbourhood: Fort Garry Address: 2077 Pembina Hwy Phone: 204-269-5004 Entrées: $19-$32 For more than three decades, Nicolino’s has been heating up the south end of the city with its contemporary Italian fare that…
NICOLINO'S Neighbourhood: Fort Garry Address: 2077 Pembina Hwy Phone: 204-269-5004 Entrees: $17-$34 Nestled in a South Winnipeg strip-mall, Nicolino’s glimmers like a beacon among a row of fast-food chains. Owner Nick…
Nick Zifarelli Nicolino's Ingredients Dough 2 Tbsp salt 2 Tbsp sugar 1/4 cup canola oil 1/3 cup milk 3 tsp yeast 5 cups all purpose flour Toppings 3 Tbsp homemade…
Chef Grant Mitchell & John Stupar Nicolino’s These crêpes are rich in taste and relatively easy to make. Planning ahead is the key, as crème fraîche cannot be rushed. The…
Chef Fabrizio Rossi Nicolino's This briny sauce is filled with bright flavour and pairs well with fish. Ingredients 2 Tbsp olive oil 1 clove garlic pinch chili pepper 1 anchovy…
Chef Fabrizio Rossi Nicolino's Boscaiola, meaning 'woodsman's style' sauce is a rustic Italian classic. Ingredients Pasta 8 cups flour 10 eggs 1 Tbsp oil pinch of salt Sauce 3 cups…
Richard Hofley/Allen McDonald Nicolino's Ingredients Cake 5 medium morel mushrooms 1/4 cup Madeira wine 1 Tbsp unsalted butter 1/4 cup granulated sugar 1/4 cup all-purpose flour 1/4 cup cocoa powder…
Chef Greg Callis, Nicolino's Fleshy oxheart, brandywine or roma tomatoes are recommended for this punchy sorbet. Balsamic reduction cuts the initial sweetness, while Pernod adds a hint of licorice to…
Chef Grant Mitchell Nicolino’s Regional ingredients are showcased in this light main dish. Two of the province’s most popular freshwater fish pair perfectly with the delicate nuttiness of hemp seed.…